RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What Breanna Stewart means to WBB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/14 4:00 pm    ::: What Breanna Stewart means to WBB Reply Reply with quote

http://deadspin.com/what-uconns-breanna-stewart-means-to-womens-basketbal-1561370589

Quote:
And then along came Stewart, whose father used to make her dribble around their quarter-mile block every day in order to improve her ball-handling skills. Stewart would continue to grow, but she never stopped training and playing like a guard, thus allowing herself to become women's basketball's most unique prototype.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be so darned impressed if Breanna Stewart took her talents to a school like Syracuse and get them the national championship. But she took the easy way out - she wanted to play on a team that is already 'there' and she took the easy ride out.

Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

R-

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/14 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I would be so darned impressed if Breanna Stewart took her talents to a school like Syracuse and get them the national championship. But she took the easy way out - she wanted to play on a team that is already 'there' and she took the easy ride out.

Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

R-

That's ugly. Why shouldn't she go where she didn't have to carry the whole load? Just because she's a great player doesn't mean she should have to be a one-woman show for someplace and carry the whole team on her back. And UConn just might not be "there" this year without her.

PostPosted: 04/09/14 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is my feeling, nothing you can do about it.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/10/14 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ew, and the other poster shared their opinion. dont be a hypocrite. people like you, in my opinion, need a reality check.
get off geno and the huskies and get on hillsman and orangewomen.

like you fans that dont like UConn -- please get off it, and preach to the coach and players of your team to step their game up. like why is UConn the scapegoat?
fans of duke, syracuse, tennessee, notre dame, maryland, UNC, USC, etc. ...like cmon all 'top teams' have talent. uconn doesnt have anything different than these 'top teams' but they need to be punished because they have better coaching? better practice habits? better tutelage? better respect?
everyone who HATES on UConn needs to back all the way off.

ridor wrote:

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/10/14 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
ew, and the other poster shared their opinion. dont be a hypocrite. people like you, in my opinion, need a reality check.

like you fans that dont like UConn -- please get off it, and preach to the coach and players of your team to step their game up. like why is UConn the scapegoat?
fans of duke, syracuse, tennessee, notre dame, maryland, UNC, USC, etc. ...like cmon all 'top teams' have talent. uconn doesnt have anything different than these 'top teams' but they need to be punished because they have better coaching? better practice habits? better tutelage? better respect?

ridor wrote:

This post might represent the exact definition of hypocrisy. First, you call out people for being hypocrites by not allowing people to have their own opinion and then you proceed to jump all over people that "hate" on UConn.

Now, back to the article...seems like many people are forgetting Delle Donne. She was certainly an extremely versatile player for her size, though Stewart is definitely the better player near the basket. But I see a lot of similarities amongst the two.

That said, Stewart is so fun to watch...it just amazes me every time I see her. As I described her so long ago, she reminds of bambi as she just appears gangly and almost uncoordinated, but that couldn't be further from the truth. She is just so talented...

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/10/14 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What does Breanna mean to wbb

How about the WNBA?

Which teams are going to have a lot of bad luck and lose games the season before she is drafted?

www.barnstormingamerica.net
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/10/14 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

ridor wrote:

This post might represent the exact definition of hypocrisy. First, you call out people for being hypocrites by not allowing people to have their own opinion and then you proceed to jump all over people that "hate" on UConn.

Now, back to the article...seems like many people are forgetting Delle Donne. She was certainly an extremely versatile player for her size, though Stewart is definitely the better player near the basket. But I see a lot of similarities amongst the two.

That said, Stewart is so fun to watch...it just amazes me every time I see her. As I described her so long ago, she reminds of bambi as she just appears gangly and almost uncoordinated, but that couldn't be further from the truth. She is just so talented...

Delle Donne carried a whole team on her back for what, 3 years? Yes, she made the team better…..but what happened after that? Did it help recruiting? Decidedly NOT. Delaware has regained its rightful place in the middle of a rather mediocre mid-major conference, as Delle Donne's presence brought in no recruits whatever. She did that by choice, but why should any player have to make the choice to do that if they don't want to…and most don't? It's not selfishness, as I see it, but a desire to make yourself better by playing with others who will constantly challenge you, and by getting the best coaching you can that fits with your personality. Also, in some cases, there's a desire to get *away* from the expectations of the home crowd. One player I remember vividly who did that was Jennifer Azzi, who played at Oak Ridge in Tennessee. You'd best believe we would have loved to have her in orange, but she chose Stanford, and some of you will remember that team. Her reasoning ran something like what I stated above. Perhaps that was at least part of Breanna's too. There are a lot of things that go into someone's choice and disrespecting them for it is pretty petty.

PostPosted: 04/10/14 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

ridor wrote:

Delle Donne carried a whole team on her back for what, 3 years? Yes, she made the team better…..but what happened after that? Did it help recruiting? Decidedly NOT. Delaware has regained its rightful place in the middle of a rather mediocre mid-major conference, as Delle Donne's presence brought in no recruits whatever. She did that by choice, but why should any player have to make the choice to do that if they don't want to…and most don't? It's not selfishness, as I see it, but a desire to make yourself better by playing with others who will constantly challenge you, and by getting the best coaching you can that fits with your personality. Also, in some cases, there's a desire to get *away* from the expectations of the home crowd. One player I remember vividly who did that was Jennifer Azzi, who played at Oak Ridge in Tennessee. You'd best believe we would have loved to have her in orange, but she chose Stanford, and some of you will remember that team. Her reasoning ran something like what I stated above. Perhaps that was at least part of Breanna's too. There are a lot of things that go into someone's choice and disrespecting them for it is pretty petty.

I don't understand why you are addressing this at me...I didn't say a thing about going to a different school and carrying them.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/10/14 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

ridor wrote:

I don't understand why you are addressing this at me...I didn't say a thing about going to a different school and carrying them.

Is it necessary to take everything personally? I was trying to sum it all up, which is why I included all the quotes. You brought up Delle Donne so I included her in the summation.

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Is it necessary to take everything personally? I was trying to sum it all up, which is why I included all the quotes. You brought up Delle Donne so I included her in the summation.

I didn't take anything personally or get upset. I was just saying I had no idea why you were addressing your point to me when I didn't have anything to do with the point you were making. No biggie...just wondered if I was missing something.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't you guys know by now that ridor thinks Geno Auriemma is the anti-Christ? Rolling Eyes

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ridor hates UConn so much that he claimed that he doesn't watch UConn games and didn't for many years. So how does someone who is not even watching any of the UConn games, have an opinion on the matter?

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

ridor wrote:

NO NO. right after my statement hypocrisy statement i said IN MY OPINION. and if you think my opinion is wrong, good for you. and proves my point.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a UConn fan (no kidding, you couldn't see that from my avatar? Wink ) but I have come to respect Geno and what he does. There are some coaches and programs I don't respect, but won't get into that here. I am far too old to get into the rabid "fan" hatred style that marks some boards, although I have engaged in some spirited discussions in defense of or opposition to my own coach and AD (love one, no use for the other) on occasion.

PostPosted: 04/10/14 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

ridor wrote:

NO NO. right after my statement hypocrisy statement i said IN MY OPINION. and if you think my opinion is wrong, good for you. and proves my point.

What? You are making absolutely no sense.

ridor

PostPosted: 04/10/14 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is true. I hadn't seen any UConn games on TV in the last 7 or 8 years except for the brief recaps on ESPN sportscenter and the website. How do I know? Articles, people, articles.

ridor

PostPosted: 04/10/14 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Using Jennifer Azzi to compare with Breanna Stewart is not good. Jennifer did not have an easy time at Stanford. When she arrived at Stanford as a freshman, her team finished the season at 14-14. But her teams has exponentially improved going 27-5, 28-3 & 32-1 by time she was a senior. It was impressive to see how she took Stanford to the next level. On other hand, Breanna Stewart went to UConn who had been to the Final Four since 2008 (4 straight years). She proclaimed that she wanted to win 4 national championships. Ok, that is fine. Going to UConn is perhaps the easiest route to win it all. Not impressive. If she had gone to other school and picked up 4 natties. I'll be impressed. I'd like to see how she fared against UConn, not playing for UConn.

To me, the whole thing stinks. I am not impressed. At all.

R-

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/10/14 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

ridor wrote:

What? You are making absolutely no sense.

what doesnt make sense.
fans that dont like UConn -- please get off it, and preach to the coach and players of your team to step their game up. like why is UConn the scapegoat?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/10/14 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Using Jennifer Azzi to compare with Breanna Stewart is not good. Jennifer did not have an easy time at Stanford. When she arrived at Stanford as a freshman, her team finished the season at 14-14. But her teams has exponentially improved going 27-5, 28-3 & 32-1 by time she was a senior. It was impressive to see how she took Stanford to the next level. On other hand, Breanna Stewart went to UConn who had been to the Final Four since 2008 (4 straight years). She proclaimed that she wanted to win 4 national championships. Ok, that is fine. Going to UConn is perhaps the easiest route to win it all. Not impressive. If she had gone to other school and picked up 4 natties. I'll be impressed. I'd like to see how she fared against UConn, not playing for UConn.

R-

Well, I'm not impressed with either your arguments or your "reasoning", so I think I will from this point on just disregard anything you have to say. Your attitude towards UConn tarnishes everything you say. Have a nice day.

PostPosted: 04/15/14 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What were Stewarts academics like?

ridor

PostPosted: 04/15/14 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fine with me. I have no problem with that, dear.

R-

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/18/14 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Don't you guys know by now that ridor thinks Geno Auriemma is the anti-Christ? Rolling Eyes

Bingo.

It's only when I consider such haters that I really wish EDD played four years at UConn.

6 straight NCs might have pushed some of them off the ledge for real. Cool

PostPosted: 04/19/14 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

R-

So, I try not get into these types of discussions any more as they took up way too much of my time as a younger, more immature fan and they make my blood boil, but I have to chime in here. Ridor, for lack of a better term, is a complete blow hard. This is just another thing in the long line of ridiculous attacks on a program that quite frankly, has done a lot of good for WCBB and has never done anything personal to this poster. You claim to never watch UCONN, but it seems as though your existence as a fan is to do nothing but bash UCONN. Players go where they feel comfortable, where they want to grow as a person and imagine this, become a better basketball player. If academically a person that wanted to go and be the best engineer possible was from Baton Rouge, should that person go to LSU or MIT? Same thing here. Breanna has a legit shot to be the best basketball player in the world in 7-10 years, should she go be taught by one of the most successful coaches of all time, with a proven track record of making players better over 4 years? Or should she go to Syraucse, which has a nice program and a pretty good coach and not be the player that she might become? Are you impressed by Candace Parker's accomplishments? I mean, she could have gone to DePaul or Northwestern near her Chicago suburb home and helped them become great!

As for the bandwagon that you would like to start in regards to teams not scheduling UCONN anymore to faze them out as a National Power.....that is some serious hate and something you might need help for. To hate a program that much is a tad disturbing, I mean we are talking about hating and downright despising the success of a group of 18-22 year old student-athletes.

In summary, I applaud players like EDD or Jackie Stiles for making a choice that was best suited for them, but I also applaud people like Candace Parker, Breanna Stewart and Jennifer Azzi for going on the path that is right for them.

Go Huskies!

-And that my friend, is my opinion, deal with it!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/19/14 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ridor wrote:

R-

So, I try not get into these types of discussions any more as they took up way too much of my time as a younger, more immature fan and they make my blood boil, but I have to chime in here. Ridor, for lack of a better term, is a complete blow hard. This is just another thing in the long line of ridiculous attacks on a program that quite frankly, has done a lot of good for WCBB and has never done anything personal to this poster. You claim to never watch UCONN, but it seems as though your existence as a fan is to do nothing but bash UCONN. Players go where they feel comfortable, where they want to grow as a person and imagine this, become a better basketball player. If academically a person that wanted to go and be the best engineer possible was from Baton Rouge, should that person go to LSU or MIT? Same thing here. Breanna has a legit shot to be the best basketball player in the world in 7-10 years, should she go be taught by one of the most successful coaches of all time, with a proven track record of making players better over 4 years? Or should she go to Syraucse, which has a nice program and a pretty good coach and not be the player that she might become? Are you impressed by Candace Parker's accomplishments? I mean, she could have gone to DePaul or Northwestern near her Chicago suburb home and helped them become great!

As for the bandwagon that you would like to start in regards to teams not scheduling UCONN anymore to faze them out as a National Power.....that is some serious hate and something you might need help for. To hate a program that much is a tad disturbing, I mean we are talking about hating and downright despising the success of a group of 18-22 year old student-athletes.

In summary, I applaud players like EDD or Jackie Stiles for making a choice that was best suited for them, but I also applaud people like Candace Parker, Breanna Stewart and Jennifer Azzi for going on the path that is right for them.

Go Huskies!

-And that my friend, is my opinion, deal with it!

Well stated, ucbart! Clearly I am not a UConn fan and I applauded Aja for choosing S.Carolina. I was frankly bored by this year's FF but loved the fact that you got to go and had great seats, to boot! But having Aja at S.Carolina is double good as a great player is playing for a great coach. It's more like a waste of talent when a great player plays for a "less than great" coach. I want to see great games, where two teams of great players, with great coaches go at it. I fully agree with the statement that the other teams need to hire great coaches to assemble more great teams in order to give UConn a good game. The onus is on all the other schools. And, sadly for me, Duke won't be in that mix until we get a different coach. It doesn's seem to matter how many great players we get, we're never going to beat a great team with a great coach.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: