RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Roster/ scholarhip count by team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: 04/11/14 12:15 pm    ::: Roster/ scholarhip count by team Reply Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in exploring this further, I started a list at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnpjvR_kW6qvdFc4ckppd1Q2UGRLMkVCY181dUZnWWc&usp=sharing

Anyone can edit, so feel free to add the counts for schools you know about

Only a handful of schools listed so far, but a scholarship limit of 13 doesn't appear to have a lot of impact. I see only six players in the eleven schools listed who would be affected, and several teams within the top schools who could absorb those players without going over the limit, so I think the purported benefits (pushing some bench players down to lower tier schools where they would play more ) are over-stated.

We need a few more entries to draw firmer conclusions, so I hope some other will add some entries.

I sorted the list by Sagarin ranking, because the thesis is that the scholarship limitation would move players down to weaker schools, which might then become stronger, and the Sagarin ranking was the easiest way I could find to sort the teams.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/11/14 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It won't let me edit, for whatever reason.

Rutgers has 11 players on its current roster, all scholarship athletes. It will be 12 next year.

Here's the URL for the roster: http://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/roster.asp

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/11/14 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have no idea how to edit that , but South Carolina currently has 10 scholarship players and 2 walkons .

Phil

PostPosted: 04/11/14 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My apologies, I changed the access so anyone with the link can view, missed that I also have to change it so anyone with the link can edit.

Now changed

I made the South Carolina and Rutgers changes

allenleavell

PostPosted: 04/13/14 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The count for scholarship is 15 right?

Phil

PostPosted: 04/13/14 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:

Correct.

Some have proposed changing it to 13.

While the data is incomplete, it appears to me that this will have a limited impact, at least on the top tier teams.

FS02

PostPosted: 04/14/14 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
allenleavell wrote:

Correct.

Some have proposed changing it to 13.

While the data is incomplete, it appears to me that this will have a limited impact, at least on the top tier teams.

I think UW has either 11 or 12 for next year.

I think there are just not enough good players to go around.

The impact might be small but it still might make sense to give the schollies up if no one is using 15, and some other sport could use them... but I certainly don't know enough to say that's the case, it's a question for the ADs to answer.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: