RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Source: Kelly Graves met with Oregon team today
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FS02

PostPosted: 04/07/14 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In other news, WSU extended Daugherty through 2018-19.

PostPosted: 04/07/14 9:16 pm    ::: Wow Reply Reply with quote

Can't wait to hear from the Zags fans.

Question is how will the current players respond when Kelly expects them to play some D Shocked

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/07/14 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So who's on tap for the Gonzaga job?

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/07/14 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
So who's on tap for the Gonzaga job?

Would Jeff House or Jenny Boucek want it?

PostPosted: 04/07/14 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fvck!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/08/14 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2014/04/08/oregon-hires-gonzaga-womens-coach/7461863/

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/08/14 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zags have a solid core of players returning and some big hitters in the recruiting class. I hope the commitments hold with the frosh-to-be.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/14 11:14 am    ::: Re: Wow Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Question is how will the current players respond when Kelly expects them to play some D Shocked

That's actually a good question. What a mismatch.

I see transfers on the horizon.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/08/14 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Early on it was said that Louisville's assistant was a favorite for the job. I think what we are seeing this year is AD's saying they want a coach with head coaching experience. Assistant coach is just so much tougher to judge because especially in WBB. So far except the two controversial hires of Dykes and Summit the other head coaching jobs are being filled by coaches who are head coaches.

Maybe the hot shot assistants will need to reevaluate their strategy. I see some good assistants being too picky but the big programs seem to want head coaching experience. Take a lower job and make it a winner then you will get many more options.

Just last year Ole Miss hired a Kentucky asst and Washington promoted/hired an asst. The year before that Miss State, Georgetown and St. John's all either promoted or hired asst coaches to be head coaches. The year before that I think both Wisconsin and UCLA did the same. In fact, I think Walz was hired at Louisville directly from an asst position as well.

It still happens...asst coaches have to be very careful because if you take the wrong mid-major head coaching gig and end up losing/struggling, you are going to have to drop back down or may even be done.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/08/14 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Early on it was said that Louisville's assistant was a favorite for the job. I think what we are seeing this year is AD's saying they want a coach with head coaching experience. Assistant coach is just so much tougher to judge because especially in WBB. So far except the two controversial hires of Dykes and Summit the other head coaching jobs are being filled by coaches who are head coaches.

Maybe the hot shot assistants will need to reevaluate their strategy. I see some good assistants being too picky but the big programs seem to want head coaching experience. Take a lower job and make it a winner then you will get many more options.

Just last year Ole Miss hired a Kentucky asst and Washington promoted/hired an asst. The year before that Miss State, Georgetown and St. John's all either promoted or hired asst coaches to be head coaches. The year before that I think both Wisconsin and UCLA did the same. In fact, I think Walz was hired at Louisville directly from an asst position as well.

It still happens...asst coaches have to be very careful because if you take the wrong mid-major head coaching gig and end up losing/struggling, you are going to have to drop back down or may even be done.

And, technically, Summit was an assistant when he was hired as well.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/08/14 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:

The OP had said "except the two controversial hires of Dykes and Summitt", so I didn't include either of those hires in my list above...

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/08/14 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:

The OP had said "except the two controversial hires of Dykes and Summitt", so I didn't include either of those hires in my list above...

I know. I was just muddying the water a bit.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/08/14 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'm surprised that kelly is leaving gonzaga; i thought he was going to be a lifer there. priorities change though. so best of luck to kelly and his new team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/08/14 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
i'm surprised that kelly is leaving gonzaga; i thought he was going to be a lifer there. priorities change though. so best of luck to kelly and his new team.

He has a family. It's hard to ignore a massive increase in salary for a job that should be as good as, or better than, the one you're currently doing.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/09/14 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

His wife and two of his three kids were born in Portland.

For some reason I think he and Alleyne will get along just fine but he will struggle getting Rowe and Loper to reel it in. Their shot selection was just atrocious for good portions of this season. The make-up of this team will be interesting.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/14 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

He has a family. It's hard to ignore a massive increase in salary for a job that should be as good as, or better than, the one you're currently doing.

Chris Petersen had for several years turned down offer after offer to leave Boise for another football HC position too, but he finally accepted the one at Washington. People thought he was a lifer too. But he gets to stay in the Pacific Northwest, gets a big raise, gets to play in a major conference, gets to play in a newly renovated stadium, with top flight facilities, and much easier recruiting. Finally became too attractive to pass up. Seems like a very similar situation to that of Graves.

WayneBearCal

PostPosted: 04/14/14 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I too believed that Kelly Graves was leaving due to an irresistible pay raise, but as it turns out he was already making the same money at Gonzaga. So maybe all those cliches about needing a new challenge and returning home to Oregon were true:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/apr/13/grip-on-sports-for-kelly-graves-moving-to-oregon/

And when you look at Graves' new contract, it is somewhat modest when you compare it to the bigger money thrown at previous coach Paul Westhead (link to actual contract is here):

http://www.uomatters.com/2014/04/uo-gives-coach-kelly-graves-6-year-3m-perkalicious-contract.html

Anyway, Oregon's website put out an informative blow-by-blow account on their coaching search. It's quite candid though of course the narrative is shaped by the eventual outcome. One interesting thing is what the current players said they wanted from their next coach. I had started to wonder if their players looked too happy after some of their high-scoring losses last season, but at least in this meeting, the players said they wanted more discipline, structure, defense, etc. And the interesting thing from a coaching carousel standpoint is if Graves and (as rumored) Louisville associate Stephanie Norman were two of the finalists, then who was the third candidate who made the trio ethnically diverse? Could be one of many if you include current assistants, but all the other rumored candidates were current head coaches (and all white females):

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=209460480

Finally, one of the players that Graves will be leaving behind at Gonzaga is Lindsay Sherbert, who next season will complete a sort of coaching grand slam - she will end up playing for 4 different coaches in her 4 seasons (freshman season at Cal with Joanne Boyle, sophomore yr. w/ Lindsay Gottlieb before transferring, junior yr. w/ Kelly Graves, and senior yr. w/ Graves' replacement). Having 4 different coaches in a career isn't that unusual if you count players who went thru sometimes multiple non-Division I or JC stops, or had a mid-season coaching change, or signed with coaches for whom they never played. But 4 seasons at the Division I level each with a different coach for the entire year has to be very unusual (though surely not unprecedented).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: