RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll is out....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:16 pm    ::: AP Poll is out.... Reply Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/apwomen.htm

Duke
LSU
NC
Maryland
Tenn
Ohio St
Rutgers
CT
Oklahoma
Purdue

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's messed up. Makes no sense IMO.

UNC loses to then #6 Maryland and falls behind now #1 Duke who they beat, while Maryland is one spot behind UNC.

Tenn. loses AT HOME and barely beats Vandy and doesn't fall?

How does OSU end up ahead of Rutgers, and for that matter, UConn who only lost to Rutgers.

LSU beats #5 Tenn on their court and doesn't move to the top if UNC isn't number 1.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

UNC loses to then #6 Maryland and falls behind now #1 Duke who they beat, while Maryland is one spot behind UNC.

How does OSU end up ahead of Rutgers, and for that matter, UConn who only lost to Rutgers.

LSU beats #5 Tenn on their court and doesn't move to the top if UNC isn't number 1.

Because all the pollsters do is start with last week and move people down if they lose. Then they move people up based on the holes it leaves. Ohio State is ahead of Rutgers because they were ahead of them last week. LSU is behind Duke because they were behind them last week.

There are rare exceptions, but for the most part it only matters who wins and who loses at what time. Nothing else.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

You can't always rank based upon which team beat whom, especially this late in the season when no one is undefeated. Duke beat #6 Maryland in College Park, while UNC lost to the Terps at home. But UNC beat Duke, which beat Tennessee, which lost to LSU, which lost to UConn, which lost to UNC.

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Because all the pollsters do is start with last week and move people down if they lose. Then they move people up based on the holes it leaves. Ohio State is ahead of Rutgers because they were ahead of them last week. LSU is behind Duke because they were behind them last week.

There are rare exceptions, but for the most part it only matters who wins and who loses at what time. Nothing else.

Where is Purdue ranked? I ask because my stupid a-holish company has blocked all sports-related websites (with the exception of this one). I love it, they want us to work 10-11-12 hour days and not give us any 'smoke breaks'!!!!

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IndyPurduefan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Where is Purdue ranked? I ask because my stupid a-holish company has blocked all sports-related websites (with the exception of this one). I love it, they want us to work 10-11-12 hour days and not give us any 'smoke breaks'!!!!

No. 10. Same as last week.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Maryland got more first-place votes than UNC.

Good to see that Duke's #1 again despite those who didn't believe...

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:

You can't always rank based upon which team beat whom, especially this late in the season when no one is undefeated. Duke beat #6 Maryland in College Park, while UNC lost to the Terps at home. But UNC beat Duke, which beat Tennessee, which lost to LSU, which lost to UConn, which lost to UNC.

Which is why IMO UNC should have remained #1. They lost in OT to a top 10 team on a prayer shot that forced the OT.

LSU 2nd, Duke 3rd, Maryland 4th. Rutgers 5th

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But DTS, LSU lost to UConn...so how does that play into it?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

The poll should be based on where were you last week, adjusted for the current week's actions. LSU losing to UConn is in the past weeks.

Even if you considered it, losing to UConn in CT isn't as great a deterrant than the bonus for snapping the home win streak of UT at UT.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/13/06 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

The poll should be based on where were you last week, adjusted for the current week's actions. LSU losing to UConn is in the past weeks.

Even if you considered it, losing to UConn in CT isn't as great a deterrant than the bonus for snapping the home win streak of UT at UT.

My biggest beef is that Tennessee stays at #5, while UCONN drops 4 spots, and both lost one game, and Tennessee coulda/woulda/shoulda lost two.

Sternvogel

PostPosted: 02/13/06 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I vote in my mailing list's poll, I never move a team down if it has an undefeated week, but I may let one squad "leapfrog" over another, as I did by keeping Duke at #2 following two Blue Devil victories over unranked opponents as LSU vaulted from fourth to first after the Tigers' triumphs over Tennessee and Georgia. Still, I realize that whether comparing teams is more an art or a science, it's an inexact process either way. Here's my latest ballot, with my rankings from last week in parentheses:

1. Louisiana State (4)
2. Duke (2)
3. Maryland (6)
4. North Carolina (1)
5. Rutgers (8)
6. Ohio State (7)
7. Connecticut (3)
8. Tennessee (5)
9. Oklahoma (9)
10. Purdue (11)
11. Stanford (14)
12. Arizona State (16)
13. Georgia (10)
14. DePaul (17)
15. Baylor (15)
16. Michigan State (18)
17. Brigham Young (13)
18. Boston College (19)
19. New Mexico (22)
20. Utah (24)
21. Texas A&M (25)
22. Minnesota (12)
23. Kentucky (on temporary leave)
24. St. John's (20)
25. Indiana State (among the also-rans)

Dropped out: Temple (21), Florida (23)

Games attended: Purdue-IPFW, Purdue-Minnesota (and
who would have thought the first would be the Boilers'
relative struggle of the week?)

Other games seen (some very fleetingly):
Mississippi-Alabama, Michigan State-Minnesota, Ohio
State-Michigan, Penn State-Illinois, DePaul-Notre
Dame, North Carolina-Virginia, Tennessee-Vanderbilt

http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/birthdays/index.html

Let me know of any players/teams you wish to see added!
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/13/06 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it was a fun ride for the Red Storm. Stupid frickin' Marquette. We need to pretty much run the table now.

PostPosted: 02/14/06 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw UNC lose to Maryland on Thursday, I saw us beat Maryland tonight, and I'd still vote UNC #1. It's a travesty that only one voter in the AP poll did so.

The reason: A lot of things had to go wrong for Carolina and right for Maryland to win that Thursday game. UNC had it in hand until Alex Miller was carried off with her neck immobilized after nearly 10 minutes of medical attention on the floor. Besides not having their hottest 3-point shooter (5-6 vs. Ga. Tech and Md.), that had to be upsetting. Larkins was visibly upset. And then Larkins herself was unavailable for the OT because of cramps. Add in two desperation 3's that fell for Maryland.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: