RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rutgers @ UConn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hooper1

PostPosted: 02/08/06 3:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
Queenie wrote:
I'm suddenly very glad I have the Rutgers radio feed instead of the announcers for ESPN.

We're in deep shit without Kia.

I don't think I've ever listened to a UConn CPTV game - are those the UConn home announcers? We were sitting here thinking it had to be the Connecticut public tv station that CSTV was picking up. Those annoucers were bad or at least half bad (in that they ignored one team). Or maybe GA has it written into his (ok, this is an unfair dig...) contract that any announcers hired to by UConn have to gush over him and his team. That was yucky and unprofessional.

But, it was a fun game to watch with the added satisfaction of the announcers having to eat their words.

Me thinks that they are all going after the precious orb.

The announcers were h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e! We were laughing our asses off listening to that one just trip all over her words and talk like she'd never seen a basketball game in her life.

Me thinks? Precious orb? Where are we? Did I stumble into another hobbit movie?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/08/06 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The announcers were CSTV, not UConn's announcers. They are better than those last night.

Rutgers, I'm sorry, STILL is not a final four team until they can find a way to do something on offense except stand around and pass the ball around the outside until the shot clock runs out. Ajavon and Cappie bailed them out, but that will run out some time. They've got to get Vaughn involved offensively. She had one monster post up, it was awesome, and they never went back to her.

Charde, Charde, where for art thou? Boy did she suck. 0-6 and 4 turnovers. She didn't deserve to be on the court. Nice performance by Greene in limited minutes, and Crockett showed she may have some WNBA backup banger post potential. Best game not in April I've ever seen out of her. And Wolff, let's just say I think will be there on Senior night saying bye bye.

Geno took the heat off Swanier this morning. His quote after the game was something like, "I had one TO left, I should have called it when the play broke down. I never should have left her in the position to have to take that shot." Yeah, he's right, but she's a UConn PG. You're there to take shots when they're there. So she missed. Oh well.

Turner was strong too; maybe there's hope for her too. Campbell looked good for RU, strong, but again, not involved on offense. It's a shame. It's not her fault.

Cappie is money. She was very clutch; the stats are misleading, she came out obviously over-hyped and missed early several shots, so her stats look worse than they were. She didn't attack enough, but she was the best on the court clearly.

Ajavon is a ball hog. She pounds the ball into the court on offense and the offense stagnates. She is really tough and quick in motion though, and that 3 as the shot clock went off was the dagger.

All in all, an exciting, but not particularly sharp game. Good defense will do that! I guess finally after watching that game, neither of these teams are in the class of Duke, LSU, NC, and Tennessee.

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/08/06 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RU games have a tendency to look ugly no matter who's playing. Just ask Tennessee. I've said this before, but a lot of what look like unforced errors are caused by RU's defensive pressure because it makes players think they have to make a special play when they don't.

About Ajavon and the ball hog thing. It's a popular meme, but not really true. She averages close to 4 assists per game, 9th in the BEast, and ahead of every UConn player.

Anyway, I'm still basking. This is a huge achievement for RU, no matter how you look at it.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/08/06 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
RU games have a tendency to look ugly no matter who's playing. Just ask Tennessee. I've said this before, but a lot of what look like unforced errors are caused by RU's defensive pressure because it makes players think they have to make a special play when they don't.

About Ajavon and the ball hog thing. It's a popular meme, but not really true. She averages close to 4 assists per game, 9th in the BEast, and ahead of every UConn player.

Anyway, I'm still basking. This is a huge achievement for RU, no matter how you look at it.

Absolutely a great win, congrats. Ajavon must get those assists in transition. It can't be in the regular non-motion offense! I agree that RU's defense causes a lot of turnovers, but it didn't make Strother dribble the ball off Charde's heel and a myriad of other crappy plays by UConn.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/08/06 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When UConn is on offense and Wolff is on the floor, it is four on five. Plain and simple. I want more PT for Kalana Greene!

Alepp03

PostPosted: 02/08/06 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly think that at very least UConn is on the same playing field of LSU.

PostPosted: 02/08/06 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
I certainly think that at very least UConn is on the same playing field of LSU.

They play again, I think LSU takes it comfortably. Assuming it's at a neutral site.

fan19bb

PostPosted: 02/08/06 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conn. in need of a point guard as what i saw last night, they do not have s skilled point,untill they do theywill find it hard to win They have 4 and noyone good one. Laughing Embarassed

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/08/06 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fan19bb wrote:
Conn. in need of a point guard as what i saw last night, they do not have s skilled point,untill they do theywill find it hard to win They have 4 and noyone good one. Laughing Embarassed

Montgomery is the real deal, but she is a freshman. She will improve considerably. She reminds me very much of Rita Williams

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/08/06 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as i have said many times, ann schatz, the play-by-play announcer last night, is hideous.

she must be fired. she ruins games and ruins debbie antonelli's work as well.

ru will win by 10+ on the 27th and win their 2nd straight reg. season BEast title.

MadDog22

PostPosted: 02/08/06 1:17 pm    ::: Great win by RU Reply Reply with quote

If UConn needs a point guard, then so does Tennessee.
Tennessee doesn't impress me this year. I don't think they can run with Duke or NC. Rutgers is quicker than TN can handle too.
I would not put Tennessee above Rutgers this year.
That being said, Geno & Pat are two of the best when March rolls around so it wouldn't surprise me too much to see both at the Final Four again.

threefrom60

PostPosted: 02/08/06 5:42 pm    ::: Re: Great win by RU Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:

That being said, Geno & Pat are two of the best when March rolls around so it wouldn't surprise me too much to see both at the Final Four again.

Assuming someone else can take out Rutgers and North Carolina along the way, because it won't be either of these teams.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/08/06 7:05 pm    ::: Re: Great win by RU Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:
Tennessee doesn't impress me this year. I don't think they can run with Duke or NC. Rutgers is quicker than TN can handle too.

Without Hunter, UConn isn't going anywhere near the Final Four IMO.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/08/06 7:09 pm    ::: Re: Great win by RU Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:

UConn doesn't need a point guard. They just need Renee Montgomery to undergo accelerated maturation. Tennessee, on the other hand, needs a point guard. They didn't really have one with Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood, but they desperately need one now that she left the team.

Despite their track records, UConn and Tennessee are far from being the favorites to win the NC this season.

Mathies to LA 2013
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/08/06 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well remember Uconn gets home games in the regional finals...and rumor has it that they will get games in trenton to make that rediclious $75 ticket price (compared to 60 or 40 for all 6 games) more palatible. So well don't write it off yet.

Let's also see if the RU screw comes back this year...Although they survived having to play on a TOTALLY hostile court...with a farm team as their 1st round opponents. (and I'm sorry...nothing makes up for some of the fan misconduct by Uconn fans posing as hartford fans) and then play rival temple the next round.

Mind you I'm pretty sure they have gaurenteed host for trenton...and the RU fans have already gotten ready to come out in force.

BUT I would not be suprised to have wierd stuff happen unless they run the table and win both the reg season and tourney.

PostPosted: 02/09/06 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Let's also see if the RU screw comes back this year...Although they survived having to play on a TOTALLY hostile court...with a farm team as their 1st round opponents. (and I'm sorry...nothing makes up for some of the fan misconduct by Uconn fans posing as hartford fans) and then play rival temple the next round.

Wow, in first place and some RU fans still have the "poor me" mentality.

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/09/06 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

We're happiest when we're unhappy. Think Red Sox Nation.

You have to admit that RU's NCAA draw last year - Hartford (coached by a fave UConn alum) at UConn, followed by two teams that beat RU in the regular season, followed by a team that had played RU - was not exactly favorable. Remember, that came after playing Chattanooga at Chattanooga and Georgia at Georgia (both times as the higher seed) the previous two years, and after the NCAA turned down RU bids to host the first two rounds. It's enough to make even a non-paranoid wonder what the NCAA will do next.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/09/06 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

We're happiest when we're unhappy. Think Red Sox Nation.

You have to admit that RU's NCAA draw last year - Hartford (coached by a fave UConn alum) at UConn, followed by two teams that beat RU in the regular season, followed by a team that had played RU - was not exactly favorable. Remember, that came after playing Chattanooga at Chattanooga and Georgia at Georgia (both times as the higher seed) the previous two years, and after the NCAA turned down RU bids to host the first two rounds. It's enough to make even a non-paranoid wonder what the NCAA will do next.

yeah, okay, I'll give you last year.... Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: