RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Worst Officiating Example-DIII Level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballwinner

PostPosted: 02/04/06 9:50 pm    ::: The Worst Officiating Example-DIII Level Reply Reply with quote

I have witnessed countless basketball games in various roles on various levels; however, Wednesday night was the first time I had experienced such a glaringly poor example of officiating.

My beloved alma mater, Maryville University of St. Louis, has not lost a regular season game in the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference in the past three seasons. On Wednesday, the Saints traveled across town to play at the despised rival Webster University, who beat Maryville in last year's conference tournament.

The women of Maryville average a scoring margin of about +22 points; however, the game was tied at only 16-16 at the half. The reason? For the first thirteen minutes, they were playing with a men's ball. The error was finally caught when our captain received the ball at the free throw line and had a chance to check.

I thought it was an ironic way for one of the better NCAA DIII rivalries to "celebrate" National Girls & Women in Sports Day.

http://www.maryville.edu/campuslife/athletics/artTemplate.asp?artID=381

PostPosted: 02/05/06 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I played with the "men's" ball my entire career (too old to have used the women's ball) and I don't think it is fair to blame the lack of scoring on the ball. There is hardly any difference between the two and most athletes will score just as easily with either ball. Heck, most of the women have probably used this ball many times during their youth. Hasn't it been only recently that the smaller ball has been used in international competition?

Heck, I would rather see the women use the larger ball in the WNBA instead of the cheap infusion they used last season. They would have had better success with the NBA ball.

24duzitall

PostPosted: 02/05/06 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bbf23. it is perfectly fair. the weight and size are different. i think the comment was was geared more towards the officials not picking up on the mistake than if players had or could play with that type of ball.

PostPosted: 02/05/06 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

how in the everloving did everyone NOT notice the bigger, heavier ball? Ten players, plus subs, plus refs... WTF?

PostPosted: 02/05/06 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
how in the everloving did everyone NOT notice the bigger, heavier ball? Ten players, plus subs, plus refs... WTF?

That was my thought too. The players handle the ball WAY more than the officials do. Not only during the game, but with all the practice time as well. I'd put more on the players than I would the officials. Also, if the refs do both men's and women's games, it would not be as noticable to them.

Posted by an ex-official that reffed both boys and girls and reffed a couple of minutes of a 7th grade girls game with the boys ball. Wink This was also noticed when a player was shooting free throw and said something to my partner that the ball was the wrong one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: