RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

OU over Baylor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giraffespots

PostPosted: 01/21/06 10:21 pm    ::: OU over Baylor Reply Reply with quote

OU beats Baylor in Waco 73-70 on a 3 point shot by Kendra Moore that left .4 secs on the clock.

What a game!!!

PostPosted: 01/21/06 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predicted 5 on the ESPN board. I'm such a knucklehead.

Anybody got a tape of the game?

PostPosted: 01/21/06 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma has so much potential and so much talent. To me, this wasnt much of an upset.

PostPosted: 01/21/06 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's an upset-- didn't OU lose to (among others) Illinois?

Wish I had seen it.

Etiquette issue: when creating a game thread on this board, please, please do not give the result in the header-- people who have TiVo'd or otherwise taped games may check this board's headers before (or while) watching the delayed game, and they don't want to know the result. So the header here could have been "OU vs Baylor," with the result visible only once you click on the thread.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 01/22/06 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

Wish I had seen it.

Etiquette issue: when creating a game thread on this board, please, please do not give the result in the header-- people who have TiVo'd or otherwise taped games may check this board's headers before (or while) watching the delayed game, and they don't want to know the result. So the header here could have been "OU vs Baylor," with the result visible only once you click on the thread.

My bad on the thread title. I should have known that. DUH! Apologies all around.

As far as it being an upset, I only think its an upset in that it was played in Waco. I think both teams are fairly even. Yes, we lost to Illinois, but that was just one game where we didn't show up. That's why we're not ranked as high as Baylor, we're still getting ourselves together. But by May, don't get in our regional!!! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 01/22/06 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed. And Illinois had their best offensive output of the year. Remember, Illinois is a strong defensive team, so when they put both together, they could beat most people.

PostPosted: 01/22/06 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

Wish I had seen it.

i just wanna second that emotion. no harm, no foul. thanks.

PostPosted: 01/22/06 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting details in the box score: OU committed 23 fouls to Baylor's 15- not unusual for the road team to out-foul the home team- and made 19/29 FTs to OUs 9/14- again, not an unusual stat, given the disparity in fouls.

Except when you consider that it was a three point game; OU kept Baylor in the game with free throws. Look at the fairly even number of FG attempts, and if OU had hacked less, it might have been a more comfortable win for them.

Something else suggests that OU had command of the game: Baylor got 12 minutes from its bench and OU got 50 minutes. I think that's more important than the fact that OU's bench outscored Baylor's 18-0. Look at the number of minutes the starters played and you can see that it was a tight game. But OU was able to get lots of minutes- almost a half each from three reserves- without losing ground. Indeed, OU was down 4 at the half, and Rush fouled out and Brown had 4 fouls, so those reserves must have played in the second half- so the reserves actually helped OU over the top. That strongly suggests that OU is the stronger team. A cleaner game by the Sooners, and it might not have been close.

I have mentioned elsewhere that I have high hopes for OU. I think this was a good win.

PostPosted: 01/22/06 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

Is that really worse than losing to Missouri?

PostPosted: 01/22/06 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The real fact of the matter is that OU is a more complete team than Baylor. This is not the same team that won the ship last year. I am surprised they are doing as good as they are. The bench is very inexperienced and other than Young the returnees are green. Right about now, BU could use that outside shooting of Nieman. They choked in the game against TT and probably will end up in third or fourth place in the conference.

Oklahoma on the other hand is not really lacking anything. I thought they would not be as good without Jackson running the show; however, the twins make up for her lost tenfold. At least they put up a fight aginst OU. Upset - not really Baylor (my favorite college team- I like Sophia) is over ranked.

CKent

PostPosted: 01/22/06 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
accommodatingly wrote:

Wish I had seen it.

i just wanna second that emotion. no harm, no foul. thanks.

I'm a prime offender and I completely apologize. Since many message boards have a spoiler policy stating that anything is fair game once it's aired on the east coast, the admins might want to consider adding a sticky up top for how game threads should be posted here.

Again, my apologies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: